• 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LATI: Simple Program to Help Genetic Research
Lightbulb 
Update: 4 September 2021
I will no longer be updating this as it seems this tool is only for those who are willing to go through the effort to add creatures to make sorting them and finding breeding pairs much easier. With the command-prompt type interface that not many people are used to, I will continue updating this only for myself. If anyone still uses LATI, message me so I can update "format.txt" file. And if anyone wants to try a GUI interface version of LATI, I'll see what I can do with my basic coding skills.

The programs can be found here! (Alternatively, Ubuntu/Linux users can download the programs here.) Note that you must download the file format.txt and place it on the same folder as the LATI (and Genetic String Converter) for both programs to run.

Basic requirements:

Create a folder named creatures on the same folder as the LATI program, and make sure format.txt file is in the same folder. Afterwards, it can be run immediately.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! So I thought I'd make this thread, as I have a bit of programming knowledge that allows me to do things in the Final Outpost slightly faster, but I want to share it to you Google Sheets enthusiasts if they can be of any help.

LATI

[Image: Screenshot_from_2021-01-27_11-44-56.png]

Probably my favorite program I've created, LATI (Lab Assistant Tool Interface) is a user-friendly program that, although requires you to input the creature data (you can directly edit the textfiles as well, the program is able to show which genes are possible from a selected breeding pair, as well find pairs that can produce the desired genetics and the chances an offspring from them produce such genes.

LATI is entirely command prompt style and fully text-based.

Update (26/02/2021):The latest version has:
~Changed how adding creatures work. Since their genes are now in their view page, you can now triple-click the string and copy paste everything in!
~Some code rewriting, and help text rewriting to adjust to changes.

It has not been extensively tested for bugs, so any bug report would be appreciated!

Request for generation tag is not added because it would make adding creatures a bit more tiring than it already is. Instead, create multiple folders such as "1G", "2G", and so on, and place a copy of LATI, as well as format.txt and an empty "creatures" folder in each of those folders. Hope that works!

More info on them can be found in the program's help menu!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Other old programs:

Genetic String Converter

[Image: Screenshot_from_2020-07-02_16-33-00.png]

The string on the Lab Notes genome discovery feature can be fully copied into a text file and the program can be run to read the text file and convert them into just genetics as shown on the bottom right. The spaces in between are tab spaces, which will be fully compatible with Google Sheets (just copy the whole thing and paste it!). I used to copy the genes one by one, but with this program, I have definitely saved a lot of time and made my work in the other thread of mine more than twice as fast.

Update: now it requires full name, seperated by underscore (_) symbol.

Manual Inbred Checker

[Image: Screenshot_from_2020-06-10_20-04-31.png]

Add creatures through the program (or by editing the textfile itself) and then you can check whether two breeding creatures cause inbreeding or not. All creatures in a pedigree should exist in the files, else the program cannot conclude whether a pair causes inbreeding or not. Basically, just a manual check with the help of a program, so not very useful.

For the other programs:

Prepare a folder named files on the same folder as the Genetic String Converter program, as well as format.txt. Afterwards, run it through the Command Prompt (you can click on the folder's address bar, type cmd and hit Enter to run Command Prompt there.)

Prepare a folder named pedigree on the same folder as the Inbred Checker program. Use Command Prompt, same as above.

Feedback are always appreciated, and questions are welcome! :D
Saltanta! <3
Oops, I had used the wrong method to save and upload an image, so the picture shows for me but not for everyone else. I fixed that now, sorry for the confusion ^^'
Saltanta! <3
Yes, Terminal FTW! :)
Personally I probably don't need this particular one, but it looks useful. What other tools are you thinking about? I've been thinking of something that lets you enter a desired genome and that then shows you which of your pairs could produce it, but so far I've been too lazy I don't have nearly enough pairs to make filtering necessary. :rolleyes:
We’re playing together / And it’s going well / And maybe we’ll go back / To cryosleep, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame / We’re splicing genes (splicing genes) / Will things ever be the same again?
It’s the final outpost / Da da daaa daaa / Da da da da daaa / The final outpost.

[Image: 0vgPQ3.png] * [Image: 202485.png][Image: 1019930.png] * [Image: 1AzEq3.png] * [Image: CCTml3.png] * [Image: MiqGl3.png] * [Image: FPIOg3.png]
(06-09-2020, 10:23 PM)dustpuppy Wrote: Yes, Terminal FTW! :)
Personally I probably don't need this particular one, but it looks useful. What other tools are you thinking about? I've been thinking of something that lets you enter a desired genome and that then shows you which of your pairs could produce it, but so far I've been too lazy I don't have nearly enough pairs to make filtering necessary. :rolleyes:
I think I only have that tool atm so far. I haven't made a tool for that yet, but now that sounds like a brilliant idea :o

So I imagine it'll be like this:
There's a program to add and store creature's code (and removal of it too) and their species, gender, and genes, and then there's another program that reads the stored data to find species and genes that fit the criteria, with the percentage chance, right?
I think it'll be fun, I'll try to play around and develop that!
Saltanta! <3
(06-10-2020, 07:21 AM)BlueLatios Wrote: I think I only have that tool atm so far. I haven't made a tool for that yet, but now that sounds like a brilliant idea :o

So I imagine it'll be like this:
There's a program to add and store creature's code (and removal of it too) and their species, gender, and genes, and then there's another program that reads the stored data to find species and genes that fit the criteria, with the percentage chance, right?
I think it'll be fun, I'll try to play around and develop that!

The first doesn't have to be a program, just a csv file or text file like the one in your example, except with the creature's code and a "Gender:F" or "Gender:M" added. Although... a program that generates that file so you don't have to worry about correct formatting etc. could be really helpful even on its own! :) Especially since, if you know what the formatting will be, you can develop different tools and already have your "database" ready. In that case... maybe each entry could also have the codes of parents/ancestors (if there are any) to help exclude related creatures. I like that idea! :)
We’re playing together / And it’s going well / And maybe we’ll go back / To cryosleep, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame / We’re splicing genes (splicing genes) / Will things ever be the same again?
It’s the final outpost / Da da daaa daaa / Da da da da daaa / The final outpost.

[Image: 0vgPQ3.png] * [Image: 202485.png][Image: 1019930.png] * [Image: 1AzEq3.png] * [Image: CCTml3.png] * [Image: MiqGl3.png] * [Image: FPIOg3.png]
(06-10-2020, 07:53 AM)dustpuppy Wrote: The first doesn't have to be a program, just a csv file or text file like the one in your example, except with the creature's code and a "Gender:F" or "Gender:M" added. Although... a program that generates that file so you don't have to worry about correct formatting etc. could be really helpful even on its own! :) Especially since, if you know what the formatting will be, you can develop different tools and already have your "database" ready. In that case... maybe each entry could also have the codes of parents/ancestors (if there are any) to help exclude related creatures. I like that idea! :)

Then yes, I like that idea! But for the inbreeding checker, that means I'll have to add a little nice detail for ancestors. Although it won't be like a lineage builder or an automatic checker like one tool in Dragon Cave, at least these are manually stored so I think making a nice inbred checker should work!
Saltanta! <3
[Image: Screenshot_from_2020-06-10_20-02-52.png]
[Image: Screenshot_from_2020-06-10_20-04-31.png]

@dustpuppy so I kinda did make an inbreeding checker, but you have to manually add the creatures. I wish I have the knowledge to make a program that crawls through webpages to check, but I have not the skill and experience yet ^^'
But if you'd like the source code, I'd happily share, maybe you can build a better version of it!
Saltanta! <3
I'd definitely love to see the code! What language are you using?
Crawling the page can put a heavy strain on the server afaik, so sticking to our own files is best anyway.

Yes, please don't crawl through the pages. I'd rather add API access if needed.
(06-10-2020, 06:38 PM)dustpuppy Wrote: I'd definitely love to see the code! What language are you using?
Crawling the page can put a heavy strain on the server afaik, so sticking to our own files is best anyway.
I'm using C++
Although Python is easier and much more convenient, for what reason I can't seem to figure out, I just like using C++ XD

Also, regarding that genetic tool... :D
[Image: Screenshot_from_2020-06-11_00-59-27.png]
Saltanta! <3