• 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breeding Genetics /Appearance Predictor with GUI
While I love LATI I am admittedly to lazy for the manual input and translating the genes to colours in my head. So I threw together a simple Java-based program with a GUI for breeding predictions.

It won´t win any prizes for its looks or useability but it might help other lazy people like me.

To use it you can either add your creatures temporarily using the "add data entry" option directly or you select a textfile you want to save your data in first via "select project file".

If you select a project file all creatures you add after will be added to the selected file and loaded if you select it again when you start the program the next time. Under "show recorded data" you can see all creatures that are currently in the system and delete selected ones (e.g. ones you have traded or released).

Under predict gene probabilities you can chose one male/several females  or one female/several males to show the gene probabilities of their breedings.

Since I have only used it for myself and tested it with a small number of creatures I am not sure how it will handle larger datasets. Also I knew which buttons I expected to click so you might find ways to break it. If you post any bugs here I will try to fix them in a timely manner but I can make no guarantuees how fast that will be. I also only tested it under Win10, no idea if it runs on other platforms.

I have also prepared import/export options for LATI files but want to ask BlueLatios for their ok on that. Thanks for your ok! 

It needs Java 1.7.0 at the least so you might have to update your Java version.
You can download the exe-file here

Release Notes:

1.0.1 - Ex-/Import options to LATI have been added
1.0.2 - A welcome screen with some explanations has been added
1.0.3 - Scrollbars added to lists on breeding prediction page; 
1.0.4 - Import of older Lati-Files supported; Format change in project files - IMPORTANT: convert old project files via "convert" on the ex/import page
2.0 - Added a "Predict Appearance" Feature (currently WIP and only works for Cielarka Cimo, Floranta Doloro, Monta Selo, Senvida Naganto and Saltanta)
        Also works form the Predict Breeding Probabilities Page - open it in a separate window by clicking "show Example" and clicking on cells in the results table will update the prediction image
2.0.1 - Fixed a bug in the dropdown selection for genes in the predict appearance page; added Kosmira Girafos, Suna Hundos and Stranga Sciuros to the predict feature
2.0.2 - Predict appearance works for everything except Fluganta Rato wings
2.0.3 - Fixed a bug that prevented Stranga Sciuros to be entered into the database
2.0.4 - Finally added Krizos!
2.0.5 - Added Limaka Cevalo, Strigosto, Abomena Pahidermo and Inkuba Brulajo
2.0.6 - Added Arbara Krono and FINALLY fixed the Fluganta Rato tint prediction!
2.0.7 - Added Sabla Rego, Vira Beko and Frida Fisisto
2.0.8 - Fixed a bug with Tagalos, adjusted LATI-file import to recongise names of newer LATI-files, added Okula Pikilo
2.0.9 - Muska and Avka Felo added - breeding prediction at your own risk as interbreeding is not properly supported (will only give results for one parent species)

[Image: PredictOMatMorphology.png]
[Image: PredictOMatBreeding.png]
Eyy, coding activities and usage! :D
I'm okay with this! I am able to develop a bit of GUI too since I have once made a simple shooter game using the OpenGL library in C++ and it works pretty well, but I don't want to complicate myself with that yet :v I'm also lazy

Part of the reason why I don't use Python nor Java is because I haven't figured out a way to package them into exportable executables (or basically, programs you can download and run without any extra requirements). Another part is that I have low skills in Java programming XD

I have to agree that one of the feedback I get for LATI is color implementation or description of gene variations. Although I usually suggest using my species database, loading the Sheets alone may take lots of data and it is therefore not really efficient, moreover requiring internet connection. The alternate solution which I'll do once my database rework is done is perhaps to supply - along with LATI - color tables that one can open and refer to for each genetic variation and label. And perhaps I'll provide two types of images for each species, one of just color and description like in my database, and the other of creature images (such as the Punnett square visualization in Znowy's Sheet).

My Windows OS has a slight problem so I can only use Linux for a while. If you want me to help with testing and debugging, let me know if I can be of help :o
Saltanta! <3
I wish I could understand both of yalls stuff. I understand how punnett squares work, I just don't understand it on such a large scale
I click the pets in your signatures
~ . * . ~
Yay, I will enable the export/import options then, that way people can use both programs without having to worry about having to enter the data twice :)

I learned Java for work but rarely have to bother with it's native GUI options as I usually work qith custom components. So this was a bit if a learning experience for me too. Same with how turning it into an exe-file works. I use Eclipse to export it to a runnable jar and then Launch4j to convert it to an exe-file.

I have a bit of trouble with your research notes, when I navigate between species it occasionally freezes my browser, probably because of the number of images I guess.

If you could test if it runs under Linux that would be great! From what I understand it should because I only used Swing components which should be native to Java and get represented by the respective OS but I am not sure if that is actually the case!
It's nice idea, sadly it doesn't work for me. I have Windows 10 and my Java version is just fine.

I open the program, click "Add data entry", Species "Suna Hundo", but when I try to add the gene codes copied from Lab Notes it doesn't work, I can only manually write them and that doesn't work too. After patiently writing the whole code I click "Save" and I got message "Gene sequence input invalid".

I tried making a small *.txt file with codes copied from Lab Notes. I click "Select Project File" find the file and click add and nothing happens. :(
Have you tried copying the name/code of the creature with the genes? Without that it will not work.
If you did, could you show me a screenshot of the text you entered?

The project file you select has to be empty or one that this program wrote data to. A file with genes copied from the lab notes won't work as I add data that represent gender and species, without those the program can't read the file.
I put the codes in like before but it worked this time, don't know what happened before (may have made a spelling error).
I have tried it both with the empty file (it actually saved data into the file) and without the file it worked too.

I cross-checked it with the Blue's LATI programme and the results are the same. :)

You should make it more clearer in the first post that you need to make an empty project file that you than save the data into, I have misread that part.

And I have found out that the normal copy/paste doesn't work but Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V does so you should mention that in the first post too.

Otherwise it's really good idea and gives you better visual of what the pet can possibly look like.
(07-26-2020, 10:58 PM)Evelyan Wrote: I put the codes in like before but it worked this time, don't know what happened before (may have made a spelling error).
I have tried it both with the empty file (it actually saved data into the file) and without the file it worked too.

I cross-checked it with the Blue's LATI programme and the results are the same. :)

You should make it more clearer in the first post that you need to make an empty project file that you than save the data into, I have misread that part.

And I have found out that the normal copy/paste doesn't work but Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V does so you should mention that in the first post too.

Otherwise it's really good idea and gives you better visual of what the pet can possibly look like.
I am glad it works for you now! I added a welcome screen to the program that gives some more explanation on the file and mentions the copy/paste issue you encountered! :)
I also unlocked the import/export options so if you want to use your Lati files without having to re-enter all your critters manually just download the updated version and it should (hopefully) make things easier!
(07-26-2020, 08:57 PM)Virida Wrote: I have a bit of trouble with your research notes, when I navigate between species it occasionally freezes my browser, probably because of the number of images I guess.

If you could test if it runs under Linux that would be great! From what I understand it should because I only used Swing components which should be native to Java and get represented by the respective OS but I am not sure if that is actually the case!

Yep, that's the problem. Maybe I'll just provide the reference images ASAP instead of delaying, just in case, as well as update the first post.

And yep, I cannot test it under Linux. Though the components are native to Java, once you export it to be an executable file, it will correspond to the target OS. If you were to share the JAR file, however, then it should be able to be run in both OS (except that a normal user usually won't know how to run one haha)
Saltanta! <3
Good idea putting the instructions into the program.

Tried importing the Lati files and it works but there is a little bug.

In the Recorded Data the name column shows the creature code and the first gene code (like this: sCYxQAABB) and it shows like that in the Predict Gene Probabilities too.