• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How "post-apocalyptic" is the world, really?
One thing to keep in mind is that 1500 years have passed since the Great War; things have been allowed to recover for that long. Another important aspect is that this outpost was specifically built for "the survival and future of the planet", i.e. whatever destruction happened, they were able to foresee it to some degree. Presumably the people who entered these outposts knew what they were getting into and were possibly even selected for psychological fitness.

We indeed don't know what's happened yet. I assume part of the joy of this site is going to be that things will be revealed bit by bit! :D Could be a grey goo like situation like in Horizon: Zero Dawn, or possibly just a really vicious pathogen that infected all non-isolated humans.

I absolutely agree that evolution doesn't explain most of the creatures here (although we don't know when 'the Great War' was, and that itself might be a long time into the future - but I don't think that makes much of a difference given the humans are still recognisably human), but I assume artistic license. That said, why even restrict ourselves to evolution? This is far enough in the future that the scientists of the outpost are being cared for by automated caretakers, and we've seen some impressive technology used in some of the quests (e.g. the landscape simulator). It's entirely possible that these creatures were genetically engineered, or at least their ancestors were, and what we're observing is a world that's found some kind of tentative equilibrium since humanity stopped tampering with it.

As for dark territory, part of the appeal of this setting for me is precisely how horrible it is if you look below the surface. There's a lot of exciting opportunity for horror plots; maybe not on-site (to keep it friendly), but certainly in private roleplay. I'm pretty excited about it! I love horror. /guilty
pinkgothic @ schlaugh | The Final Outpost
I am the right person to complain to about NEMO's Ark (The Final Outpost clicksite)
Typically available in #dataclaw on irc.darkmyst.org (as Dread, Valcen or Taika{Work})
[ pronouns: ve/vis/ver - but not picky, use what you like! ]
[Image: hKUxm3.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: How "post-apocalyptic" is the world, really? - by pinkgothic - 05-10-2021, 08:00 PM