• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Something is amiss in the outpost....
(10-18-2020, 08:57 PM)BendyDemon Wrote: I do have one itty-bitty question
When I input a sequence and hit 'Enter' sometimes one or more dashes appears under the letters. What does this mean?
Is this to indicate a sort of progress that I might be getting it close to being right?

Yep! Take a look at schenanigans' post on the first page for a guide to the symbols! :)
pinkgothic @ schlaugh | The Final Outpost
I am the right person to complain to about NEMO's Ark (The Final Outpost clicksite)
Typically available in #dataclaw on irc.darkmyst.org (as Dread, Valcen or Taika{Work})
[ pronouns: ve/vis/ver - but not picky, use what you like! ]
[Image: hKUxm3.png]
Oh!...Sorry.
(10-18-2020, 09:19 PM)BendyDemon Wrote: Oh!...Sorry.

Nothing at all to apologise for! We all gather information in different ways, after all, and I'm just glad I could easily point you in the right direction. :)
I am the right person to complain to about NEMO's Ark (The Final Outpost clicksite)
Typically available in #dataclaw on irc.darkmyst.org (as Dread, Valcen or Taika{Work})
My difficulty lies in that even when I follow the guide an input the sequences that show what letter is in the right place I don't seem to get anywhere...but still..it's kinda fun. Hope I get it right.

By the way..even the 'Easy-Peasy' setting is not all that easy. :)
(10-18-2020, 09:33 PM)BendyDemon Wrote: My difficulty lies in that even when I follow the guide an input the sequences that show what letter is in the right place I don't seem to get anywhere...but still..it's kinda fun. Hope I get it right.

By the way..even the 'Easy-Peasy' setting is not all that easy. :)

The important thing to realise is that the result set doesn't tell you which letter is which. Say you enter AABB and the result you get tells you "_ 0 0 0". That means one of the following four things is true:

- The letter at position 1 is A; there is no other A in the code; there is no B in the code at all
- The letter at position 2 is A; there is no other A in the code; there is no B in the code at all
- The letter at position 3 is B; there is no other B in the code; there is no A in the code at all
- The letter at position 4 is B; there is no other B in the code; there is no A in the code at all

I recommend trying until you get the hang of it (there's a thread with some discussion here), but in case you get completely lost or otherwise notice you're not having any fun at all, *cough* you can google for Mastermind solving tools (some format translation will almost surely be necessary, read the instructions of whatever tool you find carefully) - the Mastermind game uses the same information principle. *cough*
(10-18-2020, 08:57 PM)BendyDemon Wrote: I do have one itty-bitty question
When I input a sequence and hit 'Enter' sometimes one or more dashes appears under the letters. What does this mean?
Is this to indicate a sort of progress that I might be getting it close to being right?
It means one of the letters is in the right place. It doesn't have to be the one it's under, same with 1's and 0's.

For example, if you got the code AbCa, and you typed CABa, you'd get _ 1 1 0, since a is in the right place, C and A are the correct letters but in the wrong place, and B is not in the code.

Feedback order always goes _'s, 1's, then 0's.
[Image: rosxx.png][Image: bH7X9.png][Image: ApMlC.png][Image: 6igK5.png][Image: prsqJ.png][Image: NkZbc.png]
Huh...I.....see......(migraine commencing...) Thanks
Honestly, I find the difficult mode easier than the easy one. Anyone else feel that or just me? :)
Lab,Come visit us![Image: CxjCF3.png]
|She/Her|Viper|

(10-18-2020, 11:08 PM)Viperidae Wrote: Honestly, I find the difficult mode easier than the easy one. Anyone else feel that or just me? :)
Same here! And I dont know why  :)
[Image: oL2bU3.png][Image: 2881655w4z0seehym.gif][Image: 6yPVd.png] 
Not only scientist, but also author of these (german) scifi books^^
I think (at least for me) its because I've played a lot of mastermind, so using similar rules makes it easier. Also finding unique patterns is actually really hard. :)
Lab,Come visit us![Image: CxjCF3.png]
|She/Her|Viper|