The Final Outpost
Something is amiss in the outpost.... - Printable Version

+- The Final Outpost (https://forum.finaloutpost.net)
+-- Forum: The Final Outpost (https://forum.finaloutpost.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://forum.finaloutpost.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Something is amiss in the outpost.... (/showthread.php?tid=347)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - Chaosdawn - 10-23-2020

I finally got the hang of the GSP. =D But I have a question, if you keep playing after you've earned your gold for the day, does it still count towards the achievement bar?

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - Nikikeya - 10-23-2020

So I honestly dont get this task at all. It said it would update hourly so Ive left the page open all night waiting for it to finish or whatever and the progress bar has barely moved. I can't see any clues as to what i'm supposed to be inputting for the letter values from anything on the page. And it says I only get 10 chances. So I don't dare touch anything.

I got 50 capsules so far, though its processed 2 of them, since I'm back down to 48 now, just been refreshing the page every hour waiting for it to finish processing. But honestly I'm getting really bored with this quest already.

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - pinkgothic - 10-23-2020

(10-23-2020, 04:26 PM)Nikikeya Wrote: It said it would update hourly so Ive left the page open all night waiting for it to finish or whatever and the progress bar has barely moved.
The progress bar that updates hourly is a global progress bar with the entire community's progress. You can ignore it! It's just for the overall event information. When the community progress bar hits 100%, presumably we've found a cure for the Fade. :)

(10-23-2020, 04:26 PM)Nikikeya Wrote: I can't see any clues as to what i'm supposed to be inputting for the letter values from anything on the page. And it says I only get 10 chances. So I don't dare touch anything.
You have ten chances per sample, so go ahead and try a few things! ^_^ Be bold. When you use up samples you'll be able to collect new ones, too, so "wasting" a few trying things out isn't a problem. schenanigans posted a basic guide to what the clues you get in response to your input actually mean on the first page of this thread and there are two help threads with strategy information: thread one and thread two.

See if those help you out? :)

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - BendyDemon - 10-23-2020

Despite the guides there is one glaring problem is that regardless of what value the lower case letters supposedly are ascribed, you are, nonetheless, restricted to ABC and abc.

Furthermore even if you get a "_" as a result you still can't be certain what letter is correct because it is indicated that the "_" won't even tell you whether the sequence/letter that the "_" is ascribed to is correct so you could get -depending in the difficulty setting- (let's use the ill-named "Easy-Peasy" setting) three "_"
and you decide to input the same letters that got you the "_" and change the last letter then magically get all "1's" or zeroes.....

The mastermind tool is of no help to me really if the sequence is never a constant.
in short (assuming that the first letter you type is an A is deemed correct and shows a "_") you are still skunked because that "A" could mean that it's place is actually fourth down the line so you type three other letters while reserving the "A" in any other spot and that "_" disappears.

So what am I supposed to take away from this then? The only logical conclusion is that "A" was never correct and the real cruncher is that the sequence of the next sample is apparently different once again.
Good thing I brewed a pot of extra strong coffee.

I appreciate all the help and I really am trying but I am just not very adept at puzzles. :)

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - Outpost Hunter - 10-23-2020

During an sample the squence is a constant. I must admit I can't fully follow your logic (but I am not a native speaker).

But I think, what you might be missing is, that the clues always show you all "_", than the "1" and lastly and "0". If you get "_000" that does not mean that your first letter is correct, but only one of the four is the correct place.

Ok..here is what I am trying to say.

Let's assume I am using the "East-Peasy" difficulty setting and I type in a sequence of "ABCa" and I get a "_" for letter "A" so presumably it is part of the code BUT it is not in order meaning that "A" is not the first letter of the code just merely part of it,I simply don't know where in the code the "A" is actually placed.

So I type in a new sequence and place the "A" in a different spot but now I no longer get the "_" for the "A" so I am left to think that either "A" is in the wrong spot again or is is not part of the code to begin with so I input my original code and get the "_" for the "A" I originally typed so I can only conclude that "A" is not part of the code.

What I am trying to say is that apparently the "_" you get does not necessarily mean that the letter under it was ever correct.
Sorry..I am just not good at logic or patterns...or describing...

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - dustpuppy - 10-23-2020

(10-23-2020, 07:15 PM)BendyDemon Wrote: What I am trying to say is that apparently the "_" you get does not necessarily mean that the letter under it was ever correct.

Yes, you are correct. The "_" only means one of the letters is in the right place, not which one.

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - pinkgothic - 10-23-2020

(10-23-2020, 07:15 PM)BendyDemon Wrote: What I am trying to say is that apparently the "_" you get does not necessarily mean that the letter under it was ever correct.
Yes, exactly. This is actually what people have been trying to tell you. :D But language is difficult, and the way the response codes work is a bit counter-intuitive, so it's no surprise we weren't very good at telling you about it. XD The insight you now have is essential to getting anywhere with the GSM! I'm super glad you figured it out! Sorry we weren't of more help in making it clearer, though!

You were fine..I think I am just gonna kinda give up on this. I am not adept at cracking codes and despite the guides I just...can't do it.

RE: Something is amiss in the outpost.... - dustpuppy - 10-24-2020

I really like the GSP and hope it stays around after the event, but I also hope the Fade goes away after Halloween and not when the progress bar is full, because that is going to take ages... :)