The Final Outpost

Full Version: how often do you name ur creatures?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i've noticed some ppl tend to keep the auto generated names with the random letters and i was wondering if anyone actually names their creatures? i don't like keeping the auto generated names so i tend to rename them whatever thing i can come up with, tho im guessing that habit will die down once i end up getting a ton more LOL
Very rarely now because:
>You have 2145 creatures

and I'm not exactly creative when it comes to names, the last one I named was this [Image: q2fUG3.png]
it's a nonsense name, empada mustard basically.
(not empanada, empada. It's some sort of small pie common in Brazil)

It might die, it may not, you may start to like the ID names, depends on how you want to organize your lab tbh but personally I like to name my pairs and then abandon the offspring so whoever adopts it is stuck with that  as the parents' names
plenty of people name their creatures. ^^ i name mine when i feel up to it, as i have right now almost 4000 creatures, though 700+ of those are in my trading tab.
I try to name all of my critters (well, minus this rounding error, who is a reference to this, and minus solstice event gift creatures, which currently get named after the sender - although I might move the info to notes at some point and go on a naming spree) and I try to do it uniquely per species, with the exception of my Frida Fisistos and Senvida Nagantos, where I have a naming scheme based on their genes.

For example, Senvida Nagantos with "AaBb - Green" fins all have the surname 'Bloom', and Senvida Nagantos with "AABB - Orange" fins all have the surname 'Fire'. All Senvida Nagantos with Body:AABb (Tarnished Copper) and Scales:AaBB (Silver) begin their names with "Pale". So a Senvida Naganto with the genes Body:AABb, Scales:AaBB, Fins:AaBb is "Pale Bloom" and Senvida Naganto with the genes Body:AABb, Scales:AaBB, Fins:AABB is "Pale Fire". Gene combos with no mixed case genes (e.g. Body:aaBB, Scales:AAbb, Fins:AABB or Body:aabb, Scales:aabb, Fins:aabb) get a single-word name, e.g. Chrome.

This naming system is super satisfying to me and sometimes churns out evocative combinations like Dark Storm, Serene Night, Radiant Sun, Desert Bloom, et cetera.
I have trouble forming attachment and collect codes besides, so I usually don’t name my critters unless they’re in my favorites (and even then usually only to suggest what the code reminded me of) 

I generally prefer four-five letter names anyway so having the code as their name works well for me personally!
(03-22-2024, 02:32 AM)klapollo Wrote: [ -> ]I have trouble forming attachment and collect codes besides, so I usually don’t name my critters unless they’re in my favorites (and even then usually only to suggest what the code reminded me of) 

It's gotta be said, though, that Dr. Leg is a fantastic name-by-code. :D
I generally try to name my creatures after they emerge from the capsules (unless I'm planning to put them in the market), though I find that trying to make up my own names is... difficult, so I tend to name them after their codes (i.e. "pKK0B" would become something like "Pokekzeb" or "Pek'kzeb" and the like, the 0 becoming the first sound/letters of the number's spelling).
(04-19-2024, 09:16 PM)ColorMeBrackets Wrote: [ -> ]the 0 becoming the first sound/letters of the number's spelling).
Oh, I like that, that's clever. :D
(04-19-2024, 11:08 PM)pinkgothic Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2024, 09:16 PM)ColorMeBrackets Wrote: [ -> ]the 0 becoming the first sound/letters of the number's spelling).
Oh, I like that, that's clever. :D
Thanks! The numbers go:

0 -> ze
1 -> on
2 -> tu (based more off of its phonetics rather than its spelling)
3 -> th
4 -> fo
5 -> fi
6 -> si
7 -> se
8 -> ei
9 -> ni

And multiple numbers together just line up the base "conversions" as opposed to converting a combined number (i.e. "10" becomes "onze" as opposed to "te[n]").